Thursday, July 21, 2011

Biscuits with berries

I'm sort of obsessed with a particular flavor combination at the moment. I'm not sure if it's my sweet-tooth kicking into overdrive, or the fact that berries are so cheap at the moment... but all I want to do is bake things with chocolate and raspberries! I'm pretty powerless against this desire, so the other day I succumbed by baking Raspberry Chocolate Chip Biscuits!
I poured whole-wheat flour...
Baking powder...
And salt into a mixing bowl.
Then I added ice-cold butter and used a pastry cutter to blend the mixture into something that resembled "course crumbs".
To that I added mini chocolate chips (I love these things)...
And fresh raspberries... delish!
Then, I poured in some half-and-half and used a spatula to stir the mixture until it came together in a ball.
And while I could have used a biscuit cutter to make traditional biscuits, I went with something a little more rustic. So I balled the dough into loosely formed spheres...
And placed them onto a baking sheet before brushing their tops with half-and-half and sprinkling on a healthy pinch of sugar.
After about 12 minutes in the oven (and a half-turn of the baking sheet midway through the baking time)...
I had a plate full of delicious, rustic, sweet and tart biscuits.
And boy, were they tasty!!
Here's the recipe if you'd like to make these biscuits someday:

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Biscuits

Recipe from: Hungry Girl Por Vida

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1 cup half and half, plus 1 tablespoon for brushing

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 F. Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add chocolate and raspberries, and toss mixture with hands. Add half and half and stir until dough just comes together to form a ball. At this point place the whole bowl, covered with a towel, into the refrigerator to rest for about 20 minutes. Then, ball using your hands form dough into rough balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining half and half and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 10-14 minutes, until bottoms are golden brown and tops are beginning to brown around the edges.
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!