Monday, October 4, 2010

Spooky Surprise Cupcakes

Joanne over at ReadySetCraft and her friend at MegaCrafty are hosting their first cupcake link party and when I found out that the theme was Halloween, I just knew I had to play along. So I whipped up these Spooky Surprise Cupcakes! Nothing like a cute little ghosty to welcome the haunting season!
But you know what makes these tasty treats even better? They have a yummy little surprise hidden inside!
These cupcakes were extremely easy to make- let me show you!
I started with box-cake batter...
And then I added the "surprise"- York Peppermint Patties!
See? I just plopped them in the cupcake liners full of batter.
And after a few minutes in the oven these babies were ready to decorate.
To make the little ghosties, I took the wrapper off a cupcake, flipped it upside down and balanced a marshmallow on top...
Before squirting icing all around the marshmallow.
Then I turned my attention to the fondant- I rolled it out extra thin and used a plate to cut a lovely little circle.
Then I smoothed it over the top of the cupcake (sorry I don't have an action shot of that- it took two hands to handle the fondant). After I liked the shape of the ghost, I added some eyes and a mouth using food coloring.
Thank you for visiting- I hope you have time to check out the other link party participants!