Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The barn door's open...

Here's another wonderful guest-post from my mom...

It is definitely fall in Michigan, and I am loving it! I am an Occupational Therapist and I primarily work with clients in their homes. My client's homes seem to be located all over the lower peninsula. This allows me to travel around Michigan and enjoy this beautiful state. I especially love this time of year when the trees are changing colors and the roadside stands are full of pumpkins, squash, tomatoes, etc.
Yes, I stopped and loaded up on butternut squash. I will be cooking and freezing squash this weekend, yummm. The house will smell like Thanksgiving!
Lately, I have become really interested in the old barns, silos, and outbuildings that dot the landscape. I try to imagine the people that used these buildings on a daily basis to shelter their farm animals, store the feed for the animals, store the farm equipment, and house the many workshops needed on a farm. I imagine that many of these farms were used for generations! These buildings hold so many stories.
This barn is located near Midland, Michigan. There is a farm house nearby connected by a big looping dirt driveway.
My imagination is not limited to just barns, but also includes any old building that appear to be uninhabited and in dis-repair. This old church is located on M-66 just south of Ionia, Michigan. The windows are broken, but the church continues to be beautiful as it shines in the sun.
A lot of the old barns continue to be used for storage. It is interesting to see modern farm equipment in the old barns. This barn is located near Wheeler, Michigan.
This barn is located near Breckenridge, Michigan. Check out the old pick-up at the back of the barn.
This house is located near Ithaca, Michigan. The front door is open, ready to welcome visitors, probably the four legged variety.
This barn is still in pretty good shape, and obviously being used. I like the stone foundation and silo. It is located south of Entrican, Michigan.
The first four barns and storage buildings are all located between Merrill and Midland, MI. The barn on the lower right is located east of Greenville, Michigan. I like the vegetation on that one!
Another barn in use, near St. Louis, MI.
I really like the bleached wood on the barns and sheds. This one is located in Mt. Haley Township, MI.
I dream of buying this old schoolhouse and rebuilding it into a home. It looks like it would need a lot of work, right? It is located near Hemlock, MI.
I love that the house numbers are in good shape, even though the house has seen better days. This is another renovation dream that I have. The property looks pretty nice. The house is near Ingersoll Township, Michigan.
This out building/barn is still in use. The shape of the building and its roof is so unique! This building is near Richland Township, MI.
I really love this building. I think it was a school, but who knows? I really like what looks like a bell tower. It is located south of Stanton, MI.
This is an old train depot located near the grain elevators in Grand Ledge, Michigan.
The end of this barn looks like a face to me. It is still in use and is located south of Gordonville, Michigan.
Another smaller barn/outbuilding still in use, but painted a pretty red. I really like the shape. It is located east of Portland, Michigan.
An isolated silo located near Grand Ledge, Michigan.

I hope that you have enjoyed this old house/barn tour of Michigan. I also hope that it has sparked your imagination as it has mine. Try checking out old barns, it is one more way to celebrate this beautiful fall weather. Have a wonderful day!