Honey Oatmeal Bread
Ingredients:
2 cups Water
1 cup Rolled Oats
⅓ cups Butter
⅓ cups Honey
1 teaspoon Salt
4 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
1 Egg
5 cups flour
Directions:
In small saucepan, heat 1 cup water to boiling. Stir in oats, butter, honey and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110 to 115 degrees F, stirring occasionally. Heat remaining cup of water to 110 to 115 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water. Add the egg, oat mixture, and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Spread batter evenly into one or two greased loaf pans, depending on size. Smooth tops of loaves. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35 to 40 minutes. Bake at 375F for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Monday, January 10, 2011
Honey Oatmeal Bread
I love sandwiches... just like Joey Tribbiani! (Come on- Friends anyone?) Turkey, ham, even bologna... sandwiches are delicious!
But do know what makes a plain ol' sandwich even better? When it's made using homemade bread! So this weekend, I whipped up a loaf of Honey Oatmeal Bread... wanna see how I did it?
I found a simple recipe on the internet, and it only called for these simple ingredients:
I started by boiling water on the stove.
Once it had reached a rolling boil, I measured out the oatmeal, honey, salt and butter...
And added them to the boiling water. I then turned off the burner, and stirred the mixture as it cooled a bit.
Meanwhile I measured some yeast...
And dissolved it in some warm water in the bowl of my mixer.
When the oatmeal mixture was cool enough not to kill the yeast, I added it to the mixing bowl...
Along with some flour and an egg...
And then I let my mixer do all the work!
Once the mixture was pretty smooth, I added the rest of the flour and finished the dough!
I then smoothed the dough into greased bread pans...
And put them in a warm place to rise.
And after plenty of time for rising and baking, I had a loaf yummy bread cooling in my kitchen! (Okay, at this point you're probably noticing that I had 2 pans of dough rising, and yet only 2 loaf to show for mt efforts. Turns out I misread the recipe, and the dough makes one large loaf! Ooops! So I combined my dough and just made one big loaf... guess that'll teach me to read my directions a little more carefully!)
When the loaf cooled enough, I was able to slice it up- talk about tasty! This bread is moist and slightly sweet- and yet the oatmeal lends a hardy texture to the whole thing... yummy!
If you'd like to try this bread sometime, here's the recipe:
Oh- and I can speak from experience to say that this bread makes an excellent ham sandwich!
Thanks for visiting- I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

