Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Appetizer for dinner

When I was a kid and my parents took me out to dinner, sometimes I'd order an appetizer for my meal. For some reason, the goodies listed first in the menu were often more appealing than the entrees! I was reminiscing about that the other day, when I realized it had been ages since I'd had such a meal- so I took matters into my own hands and whipped up some Loaded Potato Skins!
I started with two Idaho potatoes.
After a thorough scrubbing I coated them in olive oil and a dash of salt...
Before perforating the skin with a fork.
After I'd pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees, I put the potatoes in to bake.
While they were baking, I fried up some bacon (I know that looks like a lot of bacon, but don't worry- I was making it for more than just the potatoes).
Just over an hour later, my potatoes were finished. Adding the olive oil and salt to the outside ensured that the skins were crispy and delicious!
I quickly sliced them open and prepared my toppings.
After scooping a bit of space into each skin, I added bacon...
And cheddar cheese...
Before placing the skins under the boiler for a few minutes. When the cheese was sufficiently melted, I pulled these tasty skins from the oven...
And served them up with a bit of sour cream!
I must admit, these skins were pretty delicious! And they were so easy- nothing beats an tasty and quick appetizer for dinner!
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!