Thursday, November 4, 2010
Simply squash
Do you know what I like best about butternut squashes?
All the delicious things you can make with them! One of my favorite side dishes during the fall is this simple roasted squash. Not only is it delicious when made fresh, but it freezes beautifully and can be added to so many kinds of meals. My family has made squash this way for as long as I can remember, and I absolutely love it! So the other weekend I decided to whip up a batch... here's how I did it:
I started with a butternut squash (it was just over 4 pounds).
Using my biggest knife, I cut it into 6 pieces and scooped out the gunk and seeds.
Using tin foil...
I wrapped the pieces of squash until they were totally covered.
After I'd prepared the entire squash, I popped it into the oven at 350 degrees.
After a while in the oven, the squash was soft when I inserted a sharp knife which meant it was finished!
So I unfolded the tin foil...
And started scooping the cooked squash from the peel.
Once I'd scraped the skin clean on all 6 pieces...
I added some butter, salt and pepper to the squash...
And used my mixer to beat it to the perfect consistency!
Topped with a little extra pepper, this is one of the best ways to enjoy this scrumptious squash!
And while it's great on it's own, it also makes a delicious side dish!
One of my favorite weeknight meals is a plate of brussels sprouts, hallal chicken from my local grocer, and a bowl of squash... YUM!
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!

