Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Apple Bake

I love my home-state of Michigan... especially the local apples! And now that I live on the East coast, my awesome family sends me boxes full of apples so I can enjoy some "produce from home" every now and then.
So the other afternoon I pulled a couple of ingredients out of my pantry and grabbed a few Michigan grown Honey Crisp apples in order to make an Apple Bake.
I started by washing the apples and sharpening my knife.
And then I attempted to imitate my mom, who can peel an apple and keep the skin in a single strip. I didn't even come close- guess I'll have to work on that!
So I cored and sliced up apples until they filled my baking dish.
Then I took some butter...
Flour...
Brown sugar...
And cinnamon...
And used a pastry knife to combine everything until it looked like...
This!
Once everything was combined, I poured it over the dish full of apples...
And I made sure that everything was evenly covered!
After about 20 minutes in a hot oven...
I pulled the dish full of apple-goodness from the oven.
(It was still bubbling pretty ferociously and smelled absolutely divine!)
But I didn't stop there. This Apple Bake would taste delicious on it's own or with ice cream... but I wanted mine a little different! So I toasted some oats...
And spooned a generous heaping of Apple Bake on top- talk about scrumptious!
If you'd like to try this recipe at your house, here it is:
Apple Bake

Ingredients:
3-4 apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
cinnamon to taste

Directions:
Spread apple slices in a baking dish. Mix butter, flour, sugar and cinnamon with a pastry knife until combined. Sprinkle over apples in dish and bake in 350 degree oven until apples are soft when pierced with a knife. Serve alone, with ice cream, or over toasted oats.
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!