I started by putting some yeast in warm water...
And melting butter in milk (the recipe told me to do this over the stove, but I'm lazy so I used the microwave).
And added sugar...
Salt...
The milk/butter mixture, and the water/yeast mixture.
While the mixer whirled away, I added some flour and waited for the dough to come together.
Once everything was combined, I put some plastic wrap over the bowl and tucked it into the fridge to rise for a few hours.
Meanwhile I mixed some cinnamon together with sugar (for the inside of the butterhorns, of course).
When I pulled the dough from the fridge, it has risen pretty significantly. I punched it down a bit and split it into 4 pieces.
Working in batches, I rolled the dough (making sure to dust my counter surface and rolling pin with extra flour) into rounds about 12 inches across.
After spreading liberally with softened butter...
I sprinkled the cinnamon/sugar mixture over the top of the rolled dough.
I then took a sharp knife and sliced the round into 8 slices (kind of like a pizza).
Starting at the edge of each slice, I rolled it towards the tip to make crescent-shaped rolls.
After they were rolled, I placed the pan in a warm place to rise under a towel for about 45 minutes. When they were fully risen, I brushed them with a bit of egg and milk before popping them into a pre-heated oven.
And in just about12 minutes, I had a tray full of cinnamon butterhorns to enjoy!
Doesn't that look delish?
I still have a bit of work to do in order to keep the crescents from unrolling when baking... so while these may not look perfect, they sure taste amazing!!
Swedish Cinnamon Butterhorns (Kanelbullar)I think these yummy rolls will look a bit better after I make a few more batches for practice, but all in all I'm pretty pleased to have this new Swedish recipe under my belt.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup warm water (ideally between 90-115 degrees F)
1 package active dry yeast (3/4 oz, or 21 g)
6 cups all-purpose flour
Filling:
1/2 cup softened butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
Egg wash:
1 large egg beaten with 2 tbsp milk
Directions:
In a microwave safe bowl, heat milk until hot, then add butter and stir until butter is dissolved and set aside. In a small dish, add yeast to warm water and let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, beat together eggs, sugar, and salt in a large bowl, then beat in milk as well as yeast mixture. Add flour, mixing well to make a smooth but thick batter. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment. Remove dough from the fridge and divide into four parts. Working with one quarter of the dough, roll it into a ball using your hands, then transfer it to a well-floured surface and roll it into a 12-inch circle. Spread 1/4 of the softened butter on the dough round, then mix together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle 1/4 of the mixture over the butter. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, slice the round into 8 wedges. Starting at the wide, outer edge of one of the wedges, roll the dough towards the pointed edge, forming a crescent shape. Transfer to the lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dough. Cover the rolls with a towel and let rise for about 45 minutes in a warm area.
Before baking, lightly brush the tops of the rolls with the egg wash. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown on the tops. Cool on a cooling rack, then transfer to an airtight container. Will keep for 3-4 days, or longer if refrigerated and well-sealed.
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!
























