Friday, March 18, 2011

Shake it up...

I have been a Martha Stewart Living subscriber for years. I love checking out all of her ideas and techniques each month, and I look for an excuse to try her suggestions when I can. So when I saw this simple article on shaken salad dressings, I headed to my kitchen and got to work.
I decided to try the first dressing listed in the article. However, since I didn't have all of the ingredients at hand (my local bodega doesn't carry cider), I modified the recipe... so here's my version of Apple Dijon!
I started with an old canning jar. Into I added a half a shallot...
Apple juice...
Cider vinegar...
Dijon mustard (this is the good, Bavarian style stuff)...
Salt...
Pepper (freshly ground)...
And a splash of lemon juice!
Once everything was combined...
I screwed a cap on the jar, gave it a couple of good shakes, and was ready to enjoy my dressing!
I poured it over a simple salad, and boy was it tasty! Simple, flavorful, and cheap... my favorite kind of meal!
If you'd like to try this at home, here's the recipe I modified from Martha's:
Apple Dijon
Shake together:
1/4 apple juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dijon (or grainy) mustard
1/2 shallot, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Thanks for visiting- I hope you have a great weekend!!