Squash and Apple Soup
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp butter
1 whole onion, chopped
½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
4 ¼ pounds Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
3 cups chicken broth
1 whole Gala apple, peeled, cored and chopped
½ cups apple juice
Directions: Melt butter in a large pot. Add onion and nutmeg; saute until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the butternut squash, chicken broth, diced apple and apple juice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered until squash and apple are tender, about 30 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree soup to your liking. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring soup to simmer, thinning with more broth if needed.
Friday, September 24, 2010
Squashy-appley bliss!
If you're a regular around this blog, you know all about my love for soup! So it should come as no surprise that as the weather on the East Coast cools down, I crave every manner of soup I can think of. So the other day when I was at the grocery store and noticed that butternut squash was on sale, the only thing I could think of was soup! When I came home (carrying over 10 pounds of squash because I couldn't stop at just one), I found a recipe online and after a few alterations I had created a soup I was pleased with: Squash and Apple Soup!
The ingredients were wonderfully basic:
I started by peeling and chopping a squash (around 4.5 pounds)...
An apple (I went with the a local Gala)...
And an onion.
After heating some butter in my dutch oven...
I added the onion slices along with some ground nutmeg.
After the onions were translucent, I added the squash...
And apple chunks.
I then poured in some apple juice (I would have loved to use cider, but there wasn't any at the store quite yet)...
And chicken stock.
Once I'd given the ingredients a good stir, I put the lid on and did some chores while the pot simmered away.
After a good while, I came back tp check the pot and met with a full face of steam!
After a moment my camera defogged and I could see that the squash was completely cooked.
I got out my trusty immersion blender (Dad- did you have any idea when you gave that to me years ago that I would use it so often?) and got to work.
Once I had the consistency to my liking I added a bit of salt and pepper...
Until everything was just perfect! I like my soups on the thick side, so I was thrilled with the outcome- but an extra cup of broth would thin this out quite nicely!
If you'd like to whip up a pot of this yummy soup, here's the recipe:
Oh- and I have to mention that this recipe results in a good amount of soup!
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great weekend!

