Friday, September 17, 2010

Soup du jour: Cauliflower Soup

Have you ever tried Cauliflower Soup?
I hadn't until this weekend- but I must say that I am definitely a fan! A while ago I saw a segment on a TV show about making this kind of soup, and I decided to give it a try the other day. Even though I wasn't exactly paying perfect attention, I picked up some key ideas and things worked out pretty well! Here's what I used:
I started by putting butter in my dutch oven...
Before chopping up a shallot and a couple garlic cloves...
And adding them to the pot.
While I waited for them to become translucent, I cleaned and rough-chopped a head of cauliflower...
Before tossing it into the pot.
After a few minutes I added a chicken broth.
After simmering for a while (with the lid on the pot), the florets were soft enough that I could mash them with the spoon... which meant that they were done!
So I added milk...
And some cream cheese.
Once everything was combined, I turned to my trusty immersion blender to smooth the soup.
Once I had the right consistency I also added some thyme...
And Parmesan cheese.
And after heating for a few more minutes (until the cheese was nice and melty), my soup was finished.
The soup was quite tasty- and it made my kitchen smell really good!
If you'd like to whip up a pot at your house, here's the recipe:
Cauliflower Soup

Ingredients:
1 tbsp. butter
2 cloves of garlic
1 shallot
1 head of cauliflower
1 cup of chicken broth
1 cup of milk (I used skim)
2 tbsp. cream cheese
Thyme and Parmesan cheese to taste

Directions:
Melt butter in a soup pot and add chopped garlic and shallot- sautee until translucent. Add cauliflower (florets only), and sautee for a couple of minutes. Add broth and simmer until florets are completely soft. Add milk and cream cheese- once combined blend until desired consistency is achieved. Stir in thyme and Parmesan cheese to taste- serve and enjoy!
Thanks for visiting- I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!