I love scones.
Ever since I worked at Panera in undergrad (where I used to eat scones, for free, whenever I wanted), I've had an obsession with the scrumptious little triangles.
However, I completely stink at making them. It's true- every time I try, there's always something "not right" about the finished product. A few months ago, I decided that my quest to bake a decent scone should be put on hold, so I tackled other types of pastries for a few months. But a couple of weeks ago, my co-worker treated me to a Raspberry-Chocolate scone from a local tea-house (gotta love NYC, right?), and I fell in the love.
So the other day, I decided to try my hand at scones- more specifically, the delicious Raspberry-Chocolate Scone I had tasted at work one day. And you know what- these weren't half bad!
Since raspberries are in season right now (i.e. cheap), I purchased a pint from the local green grocer.
Along with the raspberries, I grabbed a few other ingredients:
And got to work measuring, sifting, and stirring.
Once I had all the dry ingredients in the bowl, I added some cold butter and mixed away with my pastry blender.
When everything in the bowl looked like this...
I added the egg and milk (which I had whisked together in the mixing cup).
And then, I added the best part- the raspberries and chocolate (I went with mini-chocolate chips).
When the dough was just combined, I plopped it onto my counter (along with a ridiculous amount of extra flour because the raspberries were extra juicy and my dough was pretty sticky). After I padded it into a disc, I sliced it into 6 portions...
And placed them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
And a few minutes later...
I had finally made edible scones!
They're certainly not perfect, but they taste good... which is good enough for me!
If you'd like to try this simple (and mixer-free) free recipe, here you go:
Raspberry-Chocolate Scones
Recipe adapted from Naturally Ella
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup pastry flour
2 tablespoon sugar
2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoon butter
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup + 2 T of buttermilk
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup raspberries (fresh if you have them)
Egg wash (1 egg + 1 tablespoon water)*
*I totally forgot this step and mine turned out okay!
Directions:
Preheat oven to 425˚ and cover a sheet tray in parchment paper. In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. Cut in butter (using pastry blender) until butter is in little pea size pieces. In a smaller bowl, whisk together egg yolk and butter milk and then stir into dry ingredients until dough pulls together. Fold in chocolate chips and raspberries and roll out onto a floured surface. Pat dough into a circle and cut into 6 pieces. Place on the tray and brush egg wash (if you remember it) over scones. Place tray in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
Not only are these scones good right out of the oven, but they freeze well and defrost in the microwave in about 2 minutes!
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
















