The other day I wanted to give my friend a special NYC-themed present. I was having a hard time finding something that was meaningful and unique... so I decided to make something! I ended up turning an iconic NYC item into an edible treat.
So here are my I [heart] NY Sugar Cookies!
The cookie recipe is pretty simple- and it's really delicious!
I started by creaming the margarine, shortening and sugar.
Then I added almond extract...
Salt (special baking salt)...
Baking soda...
Vanilla extract...
Sour cream...
And flour.
Once the batter was combined I plopped it into a bowl lined with plastic wrap.
After a couple hours in the refrigerator, I grabbed a chunk and got to work.
Using some extra flour, I rolled the dough and started cutting out t-shirts.
When I had a few cut, I placed them on a greased cookie sheet...
And baked them until they were finished!
Once the cookies had cooled sufficiently, I flooded them with white frosting and allowed the sweet stuff to harden a bit.
A few hours later I pulled out my edible markers and made the simple white t-shirts into ones of the "I [heart] NY" variety!
I had so much fun baking up these cute and tasty cookies... and I'm pretty sure my friend liked them too!
If you'd like to make these cookies someday, here's the recipe:
Almond Sugar Cookies
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
4 cups flour
Directions:
Cream sugar, shortening and margarine. Add rest of ingredients and mix until combined. Cover and chill dough for at least 2 hours. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough (in batches) and cut with cookie cutters. Bake on greased cookie sheet for 9-10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Ice and enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!



















