Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A quick and easy lunch...

The other day I opened my refrigerator, and was horrified at how full of stuff it had become. (I took a picture to share, and realized that it was way too embarrassing to post... ever!) So I told myself that I couldn't buy anymore groceries until I emptied out the ones already in my refrigerator! So I looked around, dug through the crisper drawer, and came up with this: Tuna-filled tomato salad!
I pretty much cleared out the vegetable drawer with this meal- I used celery, a tomato, and a mini head of some tender lettuce that looked too adorable at the grocer's (I'm a total sucker for cute vegetables!).
I also used tuna fish, which I happen to keep in my 'fridge. I realize that's not a normal thing to do, but I like my tuna fish extra cold so I keep it in the 'fridge...judge if you will!
For this lunch I drained the water from the tuna can...
And dumped the tuna into my mini food processor. Again, this is probably a little weird, but I've lived in NYC long enough to love the deli-style tuna salad that is well- blended- they serve it in every bodega and deli throughout the city, and I love it.
(Also, since I'm a Midwesterner, I use Miracle Whip in my tuna... it adds that extra bit of zing!)
So with a dollop of dressing added to the food processor...
I pulsed a few times...
And was rewarded with well-blended tuna!
But I didn't stop there- I grabbed a stalk of celery...
And chopped it into very fine pieces...
Before adding it to my tuna.
And while I could have stopped there... I didn't! So I grabbed the tomato, sliced off the top, grabbed a melon baller...
And scooped out the tomato innards before placing on a plate of baby lettuce!
Then I spooned the finished tuna into the tomato, and sat down to a tasty lunch!
Lovely, right? And now, thanks to this quick and easy lunch, my refrigerator is a little less full... what a relief!

Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!