When I first moved to NYC, I had no idea that I was moving to a predominantly Greek neighborhood. So if I had known back then how much I would come to love Greek food, I would have been very surprised. You see, now that I have lived amidst souvlaki, saganaki, tzatziki and lemon potatoes for the past 5 years, I have totally fallen in love!
While getting Greek take-out in my 'hood is pretty easy, every now and then I want to make it for myself! So after a quick trip to my local grocer over the weekend, I was able to whip up this recipe for Greek Pita Wraps!
First, I started with a plate full of fresh veggies: lettuce, cucumber, tomato and red onion.
To that I added Kalamata Olives. (My grocer has a self-serve olive bar, and actually offers Kalamatas with or without pits. For the purpose of this recipe, I went pit-less!)
Once I'd washed and dried the veggies, I diced them up.
(I ended up using a whole tomato, half a cucumber, half of a (small) red onion, and about 8 olives.)
While at the grocer, I also picked up a slab of feta cheese. My grocer's deli sells over 10 different kinds of feta, but the guy behind the counter assured me that this was a good choice (and then he only charged me for half of the slab... gotta love my neighborhood!).
So I broke off a chunk and crumbled it up... (please ignore my pruney fingers- I had just finished doing my dishes!)...
And added it into a bowl with the rest of my veggies.
So while I had most of the wrap ready, I still hadn't tackled the Greek dressing. I wanted to make some from scratch, so I headed to my cupboards and came up with the following recipe:
1/4 cup olive oil and 1/8 cup red wine vinegar...
Plus a scant 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder...
And a heaping 1/8 teaspoon of basil...
Along with a dash of dill...
Once the dressing was sufficiently mixed, I poured it over the veggies and cheese...
And stirred it until it was combined!
Meanwhile I placed a pita on a plate, with a leaf of lettuce on top. Then I spooned some of the veggie and cheese mixture onto the lettuce...
(Tell me that doesn't look amazing!)
Before wrapping it up to enjoy!
I've got to tell you- this was a very delicious sandwich and was a quick and easy way to enjoy some summer veggies!
So even if you don't have the good fortune to live in a neighborhood with tasty Greek food like me...
With this simple recipe, you can pretend that you do!
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!






















