Thursday, April 7, 2011

Not my best work...

I didn't set out to create the world's ugliest Easter decoration... but somehow, that's exactly what I did!
For some time now I have been wanting to adorn my front door to celebrate Easter. But between work and play, I just haven't had time sit down and craft something appropriately festive!
So the other night, after I returned home from a show (at work), I whipped out some supplies and got to business. And it turned out pretty badly! I've decided to share a tutorial on this project anyhow, in case you want to make something equally as hideous for your own house. So here we go: first, spend less than $2 at your local discount store buying sickly-green plastic grass and hole-y eggs.
Then take the top of a pizza box that has not yet made it to the recycling bin...
And draw lots of lines on it with a drafting ruler, because that's all you can find in your house after midnight.
Using those wonky lines, cut, score and fold your pizza box lid into a three-dimensional frame, holding the sides together with packaging tape.
Next, grab your glue gun and prepare to burn yourself at least a dozen times. When you're not burning yourself, glue clumps of grass on your cardboard frame.
Halfway through it'll look like this. You'll think to yourself: "Self, it's not looking too good... what should we do?" And you'll answer back: "Just keep gluing- surely something good will come of all these burns!"
And in no time at all, you'll have one mangy looking frame that won't photograph correctly no matter what you do!
But a scraggly green square doesn't quite say "Easter"... so that's when you should turn your frame on it's side and glue a little stash of eggs in the corner. Then, inspired by the much more pleasant mobile you made a couple of weeks ago, glue a couple of hanging eggs to the bottom of your wreath. OH- and why don't you throw a hastily made bow on top, just for kicks!
Mmmmm... doesn't this just look stunning?
I should say so!
So there you have it- my horrible Easter wreath. And you know what- I'm hanging this darn thing on my door... can't wait to hear what all my neighbors think of the new addition!
Thanks for sharing in my crazy creation- I promise that the next project I share will be infinitely better (though maybe not quite as entertaining) as this one! I hope you have a great day!