Thursday, July 9, 2009

Popcorn in a bag

Homemade popcorn is SO yummy!
Have you ever tried colorful popcorn? I picked up this bag of rainbow popcorn in MN, but I've also seen blue, red, and purple kernels available. Believe it or not, this stuff is the bees knees! The kernels pop into the most tender pieces of popcorn you'll ever taste!
But what if you don't have a cool hot-air-popper machine? Or you don't feel like lugging out a big soup pot and shaking it over the stove for a while? Luckily, my Dad came to the rescue... and all you need are these few ingredients:
Can you believe it? Homemade Popcorn In A Bag! Dazzle your friends- impress your in-laws- amaze your family! (I think the hawker at Coney Island rubbed off on me a bit...)

In any event, my Dad found a recipe on Alton Brown, and he generously shared it with me.

First, you take some popcorn (Alton says 1/4 cup, I say a pretty little red ramekin full), 2 tsps olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and put it into a paper bag.
After STAPLING (yes, can you believe it?) the bag closed, throw it in the microwave for a few minutes. My microwave has one of those nifty 'popcorn' buttons, but I've found that my bags always need a few more seconds than the button allows- just an FYI! After the corn has been popped, rip the bag open and enjoy.
Doesn't this look fantastic? The bag soaks up most of the olive oil, so all that's left is YUMMY popcorn!
Mmmm... this is making me hungry! Is popcorn an okay breakfast food? Oh, and don't forget to garnish the popcorn with your favorite toppings... Salt? Butter? Cheese powder?
NOTE: Yes, I realize that I'm displaying my microwave popcorn in a gorgeous Jade-ite serving dish. But I can't help it- PW has these beauties... and my Momasita has some... and then she sent one to ME! I think it's absolutely DIVINE, and I couldn't wait to use it- I'm officially in love!
That's it for me- I hope you have a wonderful Thursday wherever you are! And, please go home and make this popcorn tonight... you won't be sorry!