My mom makes the best soups!!
I mean, they are really delicious! Unfortunately, I live pretty far away from her, so I don't often get to enjoy her soups these days.
So the other day, when I had a craving for one of her soups, I decided to make it myself.
After a quick call to my mom, she shared her recipe for Cream of Potato Soup!
I really like this soup, and since I had plenty of room in my freezer I decided to double the recipe. (However, a single batch of the recipe still makes over 10 cups of soup!)
First, I peeled a ton of potatoes. Whenever I do this, I always think of those WWII movies where people pull "KP Duty" and sit for hours peeling buckets full o' spuds!
Then I poured the chicken broth into my soup pot (our preferred brand of broth for this soup is Swanson).
Once the potatoes were peeled, I chopped them into similar sized pieces and added them to the broth.
While the potatoes simmered, I sauteed some chopped onions in butter.
While the potatoes cooked, I organized the rest of the ingredients.
Most importantly was the milk. In order to thicken the soup, we mix flour into the milk.
It is important that the milk mixture be smooth, so instead of just dumping the flour into the milk, we mix a bit of the milk with the flour until it it smooth, and then we whisk that mixture into the milk. Are you still with me?
Once the potatoes were tender, I added the onions which had been sauteed in butter, along with the milk that had flour mixed in.
As the soup cooked more, I made sure to stir it frequently so it didn't burn.
Of course what is potato soup with a bit of salt and pepper?
So I ground a couple teaspoons of black pepper...
And added it to the soup. (This step is pretty important, as you'll see from my mom's recipe below!)
Believe it or not, that's all it took to make my mom's tasty Cream of Potato Soup!
If you'd like to try this recipe yourself, here it is:
Cream of Potato Soup
Recipe courtesy of my mom!!
Ingredients*:
3 ½ C Potatoes (or more)- cut into cubes
8 C Chicken Broth (Swanson)
½ C diced Onion
1 stick of butter
2 C milk
5 T flour
1 teaspoon black pepper
Salt to taste
Directions:
Peel and cut potatoes into small cubes and simmer in chicken broth until tender. Sauté onions in butter until translucent. Mix together milk and flour until there are no lumps. When potatoes are tender, add sautéed onions and butter and stir in milk and flour mixture. Soup will thicken. Add pepper starting with ½ tsp. and adding more to taste. (The pepper makes a huge difference, so don’t be a sissy!). Add salt to taste.
*Note: I doubled this recipe in the blog post above!
Thanks for stopping by- and special thanks to my mom for the recipe! I hope you have a great day!!


















