Thursday, August 11, 2011

Practically a prairie!

Per my little teaser yesterday, my brother and I visited the High Line! (Did you guess that?)


For those of you who don't know, the High Line is a new, urban garden on the west side of NYC.


Several years ago, the city of NY decided to take a one-mile section of railroad tracks from a former elevated freight railroad spur, and turn it into a garden.


It's the one of the coolest restorations projects I've ever seen!


There are tons of different aspects of the High Line that encourage interaction with nature.


This interesting structure was actually a series of bird houses.


(And yes, most New Yorkers would kill for the view of the Empire State Building that the birds had!)


I love the way the public spaces of the High Line blend into the garden spaces.


And since I've always loved prairie grasses, I think the landscaping is perfect!


Don't you agree?


So the next time you're in NYC, I think you should head on down to the High Line.


And even if you've been before...


You should go back...


Because another section of the High Line was opened this summer, and it's great!


In the new section, there are areas where trees were planted at street-level, so the top of the trees reach the elevated park... it's so cool!


Thanks for joining me on this photo tour of the park!


(And SBV: thanks for visiting me and carrying around my bag all afternoon- I had a blast!)


Thank you for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!