Thursday, August 4, 2011

"Dip"-ity-doo-da

When you visit a restaurant are there certain meals or appetizers that you gravitate towards? When I'm out with friends or family, we sometimes order an appetizer of Spinach and Artichoke Dip if it's an option on the menu.


Well, the other day I decided I play "restaurant" in my own kitchen by whipping up a batch of the dip. And for my first try, it turned out pretty well... let me show you!


Here are the ingredients. (FYI: I chose this recipe from the zillions I found online because the ingredient list was pretty basic.)


In a mixing bowl I measured mayonnaise...


Sour cream...


And Parmesan cheese.


Then I minced a clove of garlic and rough-chopped a can of artichoke hearts.


I added each of those veggies, along with a thawed package of creamed spinach...


Before stirring the whole mixture until thoroughly combined.


I chose to split this recipe into two baking dishes (one to enjoy, the other to freeze for later). So I greased two small baking dishes and spooned the dip mixture into each. I placed one in my freezer, sealed with loads of plastic wrap, and the other I placed into a pre-heated 375 degree oven.


The dip was going to bake for about 15 minutes, so with about 5 minutes left to go I sliced up a small baguette, placed the slices on a cookie sheet, and added the pan to the oven with the dip.


And when the top of the dip was golden and crunchy...


I pulled everything out of the oven, placed it on a platter, and dug in!


Now, I'll be perfectly honest: the texture of this dip was a little thinner than I had hoped. However the taste was perfect- and slathered on the toasted slices of bread, it was pretty wonderful!

If you'd like to make this dip someday, here's the recipe:
Artichoke and Spinach Dip

Ingredients:
1 jar artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
1 pkg. frozen creamed spinach, thawed
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coarsely chop artichokes and put them in a medium bowl. Add spinach, mayonnaise, garlic, Parmesan cheese and sour cream and mix well. Spoon into a baking dish or two. Depending on the size of your dish(es), bake anywhere from 15-25 minutes at 375 degrees. Enjoy spread on toasted bread or tortilla chips.

Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!!