Friday, August 26, 2011

Not quite QD... but still a great quality!

In my hometown there is a chain of convenience stores called Quality Dairy. In addition to selling their own brand of milk, ice cream, and all sorts of other necessities, they bake the most delicious chocolate chip cookies.
 

I've loved QD's cookies since I was a little girl- they're big, soft, and they melt in your mouth! (Not to mention that they only cost 29 cents a piece... what a deal!) Unfortunately, since I moved away from home over a decade ago, I don't get to enjoy these cookies nearly as often as I'd like. So the other day I came across a recipe online, and the photos looked just like the cookies I remember from home! So as soon as I could, I retreated to my kitchen to see if the cookies tasted as "QD-like" as they looked online!


I'll be perfectly honest- the cookies don't taste anything like QD... but that doesn't mean they weren't delicious!!!


Plus- look how nice they look all stacked up!


The ingredients were pretty basic (I'm really on a kick with that these days!).


I started by melting the butter...


Then I creamed it with two types of sugar...


Before adding the eggs and vanilla.


Meanwhile on a piece of wax paper I measured out some flour, salt and baking powder.


I then added it to the mixing bowl...


Before dumping in some mini-chocolate chips.


Once the dough was finished, I was ready to get it on the cookie tray.


The directions for this particular recipe said that I should measure out a half-cup of dough and role it into a ball.


Then I pulled the dough-ball in half and placed each half on the cookie sheet, with the un-smooth side facing up.


Since the dough-clumps were going to back into large cookies, I made sure to give them plenty of space on the sheet.


And after about 15 minutes in the oven, the cookies were finished.


Aren't they pretty? I love the way the un-smooth top of the dough baked into a crackly-domed cookie.


And the texture of the cookies was really nice too- very chewy and rich!


So while these weren't the QD cookies I was hoping for, they were still great!


If you'd like to try this recipe someday, here it is:
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe from Brown Eyed Baker, originally from Baking Illustrated

Ingredients:
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled to warm
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (adjust to taste)

Directions:
Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl (or on a piece of waxed paper), and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and both sugars until thoroughly combined. Beat in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, mixing until well incorporated. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients, and beat only until just combined. Stir in the desired amount of chocolate chips. Measure 1/2 cup of the dough, and roll into a ball. Carefully split the ball of cookie dough in half with your fingers. Place the dough halves on the prepared baking sheets, with the torn edges facing up. Space the dough halves about 2 1/2 inches apart, to allow room for spreading during baking. Bake the cookies in the oven until they are light brown and the edges begin to become just crisp, about 15 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet before removing.

Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great weekend!