Musicals. Aren't they great? Do you ever find yourself popping one into the DVD player, and before you know it, you're singing along at the top of your lungs?
Or maybe you're cleaning the house, and TCM starts to play your favorite musical... and you find yourself humming the showstopping tune for the next week?
Or perhaps, when you have a long car ride ahead of you, you slip an Original Cast Recording into your CD player, turn up the volume, and go for the high note with all the gusto you can muster?
Yeah... I don't do any of that EITHER...
Oh right- who am I kidding? It is no secret that I am a music theatre dork... but this weekend will be a little different for me, because I will be doing all of the above in the company of others. The 92nd Street Y in Tribeca is hosting a sing-a-long on Saturday- for none other than Hedwig and the Angry Inch!
SFS, his roommates, myself, and dozens of NYC's kookiest citizens will be attending what the 92Y website describes as:Pull the wig down off the shelf – we've got a Hedwig and the Angry Inch Sing-along!I have seen snippets of the film (in Music Theatre class in college, of course), but have never seen the entire movie. I'm not sure if I know any of the songs well enough to sing along, but I'm really looking forward to the experience! I'm not sure what the rest of the weekend has in store, but I'm glad it's only a few hours away! I hope you have a wonderful weekend, too!
Hedwig runs off from East Berlin with her American GI sugar daddy and forms a rock band after she is left stranded in her trailer. Touring the country with gigs at a chain seafood restaurant, she shadows the arena-sized concerts of Tommy Gnosis, who she claims to have taught everything he knows.
Growl out the punky Tear Me Down and woeful croon Wicked Little Town the way you've always wanted. There won't be any Zima, but there will be beer.
$13 includes one beer.
*NOTE: The production photos above are from a musical I was a part of in college... it was called Popsicle: A Musi-cool Revue. Seriously- I'm not making that up. An old classmate of mine recently came across the shots, and since they had me cracking up all day yesterday, I couldn't help but share them today. For the record, the numbers represented above are Hairspray, Phantom of the Opera, and RENT!

