Thursday, June 18, 2009

Bridge O'er East River Water

Admittedly, gorgeous* and splendor* have NOTHING to do with NYC at the moment. Right now it is rainy, chilly, gray, blustery... just overall yucky! (Plus, I'm having a little trouble with Picasa again, which bums me out.)

So here are some pictures that I took a year ago today... it was a gorgeous day to enjoy the splendor of the Brooklyn Bridge.
But you can't truly enjoy it unless you walk OVER IT!
Which is exactly what I did on June 18th, 2008.
If you're ever in the city, I highly recommend this excursion. It doesn't take very long, and since you have no cars to contend with, it's safe.
Plus, you get excellent views of Manhattan, Brooklyn, and this amazing bridge, which was opened in 1883.
I hope the weather is a little better wherever you are... Happy Thursday!

*Fulton Ferry Landing, the name of the area directly under the bridge on the Brooklyn side, boasts a custom fabricated stainless steel cable railing, which surrounds the deck overlooking the East River. Set within the railing are Native American motifs and a Walt Whitman poem, Crossing Brooklyn Ferry. I took the photos of single words from Whitman's poem.