This is what the city looks like after weeks of rain...

Everything is gray and drab.
(Though, truth be told, I would live in this building no matter WHAT the weather... isn't it fab?)
There seems to be a constant mist, that makes the view from my office window a little dreary...

I mean, I can barely make out the water towers that I love so much!

Plus it means that when I walk along the sidewalk, I have to dodge the umbrellas while at the same time trying to make sure that I don't poke out an eye with my own!

But I should find consolation in the fact that I don't have to drive in the icky weather, right?
Normally, I would agree in an instant... the subway is the
BEST... except for when it acts up on me... and last night was a perfect example.
(I will be referencing the subway system in a moment... if you would like a visual aid, please click here for the MTA Subway map- it may help!)When it's time to go home, I enter the N/R/W subway line at 8th Street. But last night, after I had swiped my Metrocard and walked down to the platform, I heard an announcement that service was suspended between Canal Street and Herald Square... which affected the very station where I was waiting. Luckily, all trains were supposed to be going express from Canal to Times Square, which would avoid the problem areas. Canal is only 2 stops farther south from the 8th Street station, so I quickly ran up to street level, and re-entered on the downtown rail side. After a little discussion with the station attendant (since I had just swiped my Metrocard I wasn't supposed to be able to use it again), he let me through the turnstile and I jumped on the first southbound train. Once at Canal Street, I scurried through the passage way under the tracks to the northbound platform, only to find this:

Yep- an R train, which won't take me home. So, I did what any normal person would do- I stopped to take some pictures.
(Note: Canal Street is in the heart of Chinatown, hence the figures next to the station name in the mosaic below.)
And before I knew it, a W train came along... which meant that I was on my way home! Oh- and please let me explain the picture quality. It's kind of dark in certain subway stations, and you're not supposed to use a flash when a train is entering the station- it really bothers the train conductors. So, sorry about the blurriness!

Here is my beloved train, rushing by!

Here it is, slowing down... don't these new subway cars look lovely? So smooth and shiny, with hardly a trace of graffiti.

So, I boarded this lovely train... and do you know what happened? The track was fixed, and this train was the first to make local stops all evening! How's that for bad luck? I didn't mind TOO much, as I had a good book and a seat on the train, the perfect recipe for making
ANY commute a breeze!
It looks like things will be a little sunnier today- I'd better take a long lunch to enjoy it! I hope you have a great Thursday!!