Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mish-uh-luh-mack-ih-naw

As a kid, my favorite part of Mackinac City was Colonial Michilimackinac... and now that I've grown up not much has changed!
As we continued our family tour of Michigan I was excited to visit this historic landmark again! For those of you who are new to Michilimackinac, it's an interactive museum where interpreters bring history to life. The fort of the 1700's has been recreated (based on archaeological findings) and serves as an important educational component for those wishing to learn about the fascinating history of Michigan.
I have always loved walking through the houses and buildings, which have all been decorated to depict actual buildings in the original fort- here's a shot of a few row houses and the Guardhouse (see the British uniforms hanging in front?).
One of my mom's favorite stops is the Charles Langlade house, which is used for demonstrations depicting techniques used to cook and bake in the 1700's.
I thought the Church of Ste. Anne was especially beautiful- it was such a huge structure for the time! In fact, the original church was disassembled in 1780 and relocated to Mackinac Island.
And while I love visiting Michilimackinac, there's one thing that I don't like: the mannequins! They always end up scaring me, either because when I enter an exhibit I'm never prepared to encounter such a realistic figure, or because at any moment I expect them to come to life. And while I realize this is not a rational fear, I still worry about it.
But all fears aside, the by far the best part of this attraction is the ongoing archaeological research taking place at the fort.
As someone whose childhood goal was to become an archaeologist, the exhibit is magical- I love looking at the clues and artifacts that have been recovered after hundreds of years!
As I'm sure you can tell by now, I really enjoy visiting the fort... there's so much to see and learn whether you're young or old!
If you're ever in this area of the state, I highly recommend stopping by for the afternoon- I promise you won't regret it!
Oh, and if you're still not sold...
Check out this view of the lake and bridge- just another reason to love Michigan!
Thank you for stopping by- I hope you're having a great day!